We roasted two chickens a couple of night ago. We had some leftover, so yesterday, I went through my fridge, freezer, and pantry to see what we had that needed to be used. And this is what I came up with! I did get some ideas from other recipes, including this one which was very helpful, but I'll share my version here.
Chicken Pot Pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
2-3 cups of potatoes, chopped into small cubes
1 (15 oz) can whole kernal corn, drained
2-3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 package frozen puff pastry sheets (includes 2 sheets), thawed (If you do not do the lattice, you can use only 1 sheet by just laying it on top)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Boil potatoes in water for about ten minutes, or until done. Drain and set aside.
2. In saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in chicken broth, and whisk in the flour. Add onion powder, pepper, salt and seasoning. (This creates a wonderful base. Taste it now and add more seasoning if desired).
3. Stir potatoes, corn, and chicken into base until mixed well.
4. Pour mixture into casserole dish. Place puff pastry on top (I cut pastry into strips and weaved - very pretty this way).
5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastry is done and inside is bubbling. (You can turn oven off and let it sit for up to an hour before serving - it will still be nice and warm).
1. Instead of a can of corn, add a can of mixed vegetables. We don't care for carrots and celery, so I chose to just use corn. You can also substitute a cup of the potatoes for a cup of fresh carrots. There are so many variations!
2. I had fresh potatoes on hand, but if you do not and would like to save time, a can of potatoes can be used.
3. Refrigerate chicken before shredding. It shreds so easily when it's cold!
This was thoroughly enjoyed by the entire family, as you can see!! This should feed 8 people alone, but it would probably feed about 15 if served with other dishes.