Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sour Cream Pork Chops

I love sour cream!  I mean I REALLY LOVE sour cream!!  It's what makes some of my cakes moist, my cornbread soft, my tacos tasty, and now my pork chops delicious!  I found this recipe and just had to try it!  Along with some biscuits that I'll post about later (a disappointing experience).  But, anyway, here's the recipe and it was especially great because it involved the crock pot!  There is nothing better than coming home from a tiring day of work to the smell of dinner cooking.  Whoever invented the crock pot was a genius! 

Sour Cream Pork Chops

6-8 boneless pork chops (best if they are at least one inch thick)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups water
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1/8 cup all-purpose flour, sifted

1. Place pork chops in crock pot on lowest setting (mine was set on Low – 10 hours).
2. Bring 2 cups water to boil. Add chicken bouillon cubes and stir until melted. Remove from heat and pour over pork chops.
3. Add Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir until pork chops are mostly covered by liquid.
4. After about 7-8 hours, turn oven on to about 150 degrees. Remove pork chops from crock pot, put in a baking dish, and place in oven. (This is just to keep pork chops warm. They should be pretty tender at this point. Most of mine fell apart when attempting to move them to the baking dish, so be careful).
5. Turn crock pot onto highest setting (I set mine on High – 4 hours). Add sour cream and flour to the liquid remaining in the crock pot. Stir well (I used whisk) and let simmer for about 30 minutes. (This is when I prepared my side dishes – rice and corn).
6. When serving, just spoon sour cream “gravy” onto pork chops. If your pork is falling apart too much, you can just put pork back into the crock pot with the gravy. It’s not as pretty, but it’s perfect over rice or potatoes.

Tips:

1. You may need to add more salt and pepper if you omit the Creole seasoning. You may have noticed that I use this seasoning in a LOT of dishes, and the Creole seasoning I use also contains salt and pepper.  (It also contains red pepper, garlic, and probably a few other spices).
2. After I made the gravy, I was afraid I didn’t have enough, so I added 2 cups of chicken broth, ½ cup sour cream, and ¼ cup flour and mixed well. Perfect!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails