Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rich Chocolate Icing

This cake was requested by my husband a few nights ago, and I finally had a chance to make it last night. The icing is rich…so rich in fact that it knocked me off my feet last night! It seriously did...but that’s only because I have to avoid caffeine and this icing is loaded with chocolate, which means it’s loaded with caffeine! It caused my heart to race and I went straight to bed! Yes, I knew better, but I couldn’t resist :)

My husband took the cake to work tonight and everyone enjoyed it. They really liked the icing.  It's not the smoothest icing to decorate with, but it did ok with the little bit of piping I did.

Rich Chocolate Icing

6 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 cups powdered sugar, unsifted (This is equal to 2 pounds minus 2 1/2 cups OR 1 pound plus 1 ¼ cups.  If you wish to sift, do so after measuring)
1/2 cup milk  (you may need to add a little more, depending on the desired consistency)

1. In small saucepan, melt baking chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly (until it is warm)
2. In mixer bowl, mix butter and shortening until blended.
3. Pour chocolate into butter mixture and mix well.
4. Add vanilla.
5. Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture.
6. Gradually add milk and mix well.  (You may want to alternate milk with powdered sugar because the mixture will become dry as the powdered sugar is added.)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's a really nice decorating job. Simple and elegant. I like :)

Alison said...

Thank you, Jennifer!

Tia said...

you did a great job decorating and piping.

Alison said...

Thanks, Tia!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails